Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Movie Wedding

One question I am often asked is, "So, do you do this full time?" Well, the answer is...sometimes. I like to do all kinds of creative things--and flowers and weddings are just two of them!

I also work in the film industry with my uber-talented director brother. This summer I took a month off from weddings to be the production designer for his latest indie film that was shooting here in Utah called "White on Rice." What is a production designer? Well, basically I was responsible for all of the set design, or how the backdrop of the movie looked--props, wall color, artwork, decor, furniture etc. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun too.

One of the scenes in the movie was a wedding! Being that this is an indie film, we didn't have a very big budget to work with...and by not very big, I mean almost nothing...However, we wanted a funky, hip, young and creative look and we needed 10-- 60" tables and 10 cabaret tables, a cake and a few big pieces. Three things came to mind: curly willow, wheat grass and gerbera daisies.

(Incidentally, I also got to learn how to make a wedding cake for this scene! Yikes, are those ever a lot of work!!!)

























































































This last shot is with two of the main actors: Nae and Mio Takada

You can visit the imdb page for more information.

And you can check out some of the promotional stills by Jonathan Canlas here

No comments: